A discussion on unionization with a focus on international student issues. First the guests will give brief remarks identifying workplace issue for international students and outlining the role of unions to address them. Then the floor will be open for discussion, including questions and concerns from audience members. All are welcome!
Jan 21, 2021 5:00 PM — 6:00 PM
International Student Focus - Organize uWaterloo Webinar
This live event has ended.
Click below to view the recorded webinar via
- Lara El Mekkawi, English department organizer, GSA representative for English
- Kelti Cameron, International Solidarity Officer from CUPE
- Jorge H. Sanchez-Perez, international graduate student at McMaster University
- Jin Sia, Migrant Students United (MSU) representative at UW
- Alkım Karaağaç, Geography department organizer
- Maria Papageorgiou, Applied Mathematics department organizer
- Other international graduate student organizers and supporters
- Introduction to town hall (moderator)
- Introduction to union drive for international students
- CUPE and what unions do for international students (CUPE organizer)
- Guest Speaker from McMaster University on Unionization and International students
- Introduction to Migrant Students United at UW
- Open Q&A
- International students’ testimonials
- Open discussion
Bring your questions!
supported by CUPE
The Committee to Organize uWaterloo is a grassroots campaign to unionize the academic workers at the University of Waterloo. The campaign is supported by the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), Canada's largest union.